Posts for tag: brushing
Everyone in Fenton, MO should visit regularly for optimal oral and overall health. In fact, the American Dental Assocation recommends you visit your Fenton, MO dentist at least three times a year.
But what can you do to help make sure those regular visits to your Fenton, MO dentist go smoothly and, yes, painlessly?
The following are some tips from the staff at Kemlage Family Dentistry to help make those checkups good and keep your teeth and gums healthy.
You know you need to brush your teeth at least twice a day, but do you know how? The ADA recommends the following for optimum results.
- Place toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums
- Move the brush back and forth, gently, in tooth-wide strokes
- Brush outer, inner, and chewing surfaces
- For inner surfaces, use the tip of the brush to clean inner surfaces of front teeth
- Be sure to brush your tongue. This removes bacteria and freshens breath.
You probably know you need to floss regularly, but again, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it. The ADA recommends flossing once a day. For optimum results:
- Wind about 18 inches of floss around the middle fingers of each hand
- Gently guide the floss between your teeth with a very gentle rubbing motion
- At the gum line, form a C-shape against a tooth and gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly against each tooth and move the floss away from the gum in easy up and down motions.
What else should I do?
Brushing and flossing regularly and correctly will go a long way to making those dental checkups easy, painless, and full of good news. But if you want to add one more step to your routine, try a mouth rinse after each brushing and flossing session. Antimicrobial rinses kill bacteria that cause gingivitis and plaque. Fluoride rinses can help also help prevent tooth decay. Rinses are not for everyone – for example, younger children should not use a fluoride rinse -- so check with your Fenton dentist to see if a mouth rinse is appropriate for you.
If you are seeking a qualified dentist in Fenton, MO, call Kemlage Family Dentistry at 636- 225-1777.